North Shore Veterinary Specialist Hospital is a leading specialist referral centre. We are committed to providing your pet with the very best in surgical care. Our team is happy to accept all referrals, from the routine to the complex, covering soft tissue, orthopaedic, neurological and oncological surgeries.
Being a multidisciplinary centre we are well placed to manage complicated cases, that require the input and close collaboration of medicine, surgery and imaging specialists.
Modern anaesthetic techniques, drugs and equipment are used to make anaesthesia as safe as possible for our patients.
Our surgery service is supported by a great team of vet nurses, facilitating both the day to day care of our patients and also providing the intensive nursing care some patients require.
Common Surgical Treatments
- Trauma management
- Major wound reconstruction and management
- Thoracic surgery e.g. lung lobectomy, PDA, vascular ring anomalies, chylothorax
- ENT surgery (including oral tumours, laryngeal tie-back, brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome (BOAS), total ear canal ablation (TECA)
- Gastro-intestinal surgery including tumours, foreign bodies, GDV, gastropexies (including laparoscopically-assisted)
- Hepatobiliary surgery
- Portosystemic shunt surgery
- Urogential surgery, including ectopic ureter surgery, bladder stones (uroliths), episioplasties
- Ureteric stenting and bypass surgery (SUBS)
- Laparoscopic ovariectomy (neutering)
- Intraluminal stenting for tracheal collapse
- Oncologic staging, surgery and wound reconstruction
- Investigation and management of bone tumours (e.g. osteosarcomas)
Orthopaedic and neurological:
- Cruciate disease cases (e.g. TTA’s, TWO’s)
- Pattelar luxation surgery
- Musculoskeletal trauma (e.g. fractures)
- Arthroscopic (‘key hole’) surgery for investigation of joint disease
- Spinal surgeries including ‘Wobblers’, hemilaminectomies, lumbosacral disease and spinal tumours