Save an Animals Life
Did you know dogs have more than 12 blood groups? And their red blood cells contain any combination of these since as blood groups are independently inherited. The blood your pet donates is often used for surgery or critical care cases. Also, for treatment of conditions such as anaemia, and bone marrow diseases such as platelet disorders.
A dog can donate blood every three months and the donor usually visits the clinic in the morning and is ready to home that afternoon. At the first donation their blood group is determined, and a thorough physical examination is performed before every donation.
Blood Donor Requirements
- Healthy and fully vaccinated, with no known illness
- Ability to lay still for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Friendly and calm when handled
- Between 1 and 8 years of age
- A cat or dog who has never travelled abroad
- A cat weighing over 4kg, or a dog weighing over 25 kg